In the 17th century,
Charles II issued an order to enclose the town of Gosport within earthen
ramparts, and in the 18th century the 'Gosport Lines' built by De Gomme
extended the defences north to include Weevil and Priddy's Hard.
back-filling of the ramparts into the adjoining ditch started in 1899,
when c ivic dignitaries led by Canon Broderick, the Rector of Alverstoke,
ceremonially removed the first piece of turf on the 4th of February, but
left the job of completing the levelling to Council workmen.